This vegan recipe take over 4 hours in total, although 3hrs of this is soaking the Urad beans . The urad (black mung) beans are slowly simmered for around 60 mins and then at the end, add the spices: ginger, garlic, chilli, paprika and tomato puree and mix well. adding the spices too early and the cooking will diminish the flavours. Let it sit for at least 10 mins while the flavours are released and mixed into the dal. Instead of adding cream, use a hand blender to whizz up some of the dal into a smooth mixture and then stir into make it creamy.
Only add the fresh coriander just before serving.
Black Urad Dal
- 1 cups Black Urad Dal – Black mung beans
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tube tomato puree
- 3 clove Garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh Ginger – 2 inch cube
- 30 g fresh coriander
- Rinse the beans several times until the water runs clear. Now soak them in cold water for at least 3 hours.
- Put the beans into a large saucepan and add lots of boiling water and ring to the boil. Simmer for 60 mins, continually stirring and checking it is not drying out or sticking to the bottom. If the dal gets too thick add more water to loosen it up.
- While the beans are simmering, finely chop the garlic and ginger and add the other spices to them.
- Once the dal is ready add the spices and the tomato puree to the simmering pan and turn off. Stir the dal well and let it sit for at least 10 mins to absorb the flavours, add more water if the dal is too stiff. Adding the spices too early and the cooking will diminish the flavours.
- Use the hand blender to whizz up a section of the dal into a smooth cream and then stir that into the rest of the dal to mix. Taste and adjust the seasoning
- Serve while warm with fresh chopped coriander leaves.
If you’re having trouble finding black mung beans I got mine from