The base is chopped onions, carrots, garlic and mushrooms cooked slowly in a little hemp oil until reduced and the flavours have concentrated, then add several grinds of black pepper, a teaspoon of rosemary and a teaspoon of thyme and add the cooked Puy lentils then stir and warm through.
Once the lentil/mushroom mix is warmed, add several tablespoons of vegan gravy granules and then slowly add water while stirring to make the mixture thick and saucy.
Once warmed up put the mixture into a casserole dish.
Now chop the potatoes and boil (keep the skin on), Once cooked, drain and mash with some plant based butter and then put over the mushroom mix in the casserole dish, begin but putting around the edges and the centre.
Finishing with running a fork over the potato to create a set of ridges (helps with the crispy bits. Drizzle the potato with olive oil (also helps with crisping the potato)
Bake for 25 mins in a medium preheated oven or until everything is bubbling.
Serve with peas and broccoli and a more bistro gravy.
Mushroom and lentil shepherdess pie
- 1 Packet of cooked Puy lentils
- 1 punnet mushrooms
- 2 onions
- 3 carrots 1
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tbsp Bisto onion gravy granules
- 6 potatoes
- chop the carrots and onions and gentle fry to 3 minutes
- chop the mushrooms and add to the carrot and mushroom
- cook until reduced
- add the cooked lentils and rosemary and thyme and cook for several minutes
- add a tablespoon of gravy powder to the lentil mix and half a cup or water and mix and turn off once thickened
- put the mixture into the cassarole dish
- Chop the potatoes and boil until cooked
- Drain and mash the potatoes adding a spoon of plant based margarine
- spread the potatoes over the lentil/mushroom mixture. starting by creating a border around the outside and then adding more in the middle, then smooth over
- run a fork along the potato to make ridges to cook quicker and drizzle with olive oil
- Place in preheated oven for 15mins or until hot and bubbling
- serve with green veg such as peas, broccoli and carrots. and bisto gravy