This plant based Chilli takes around 20 mins.
Chop the onions and peppers and gentle fry in a little olive oil for a few minutes to release the flavours.
Now add the chopped mushrooms and continue to cook.
Once the mushrooms are cooked, add the cooked Puy lentils, black beans (drained and rinsed), tinned tomatoes and the chilli spices, add a cup of water and stir.
Stir thoroughly and gently simmer, After 10 mins it is ready.
While the chilli is simmering cook the grains. Put boiling water into a pan and add enough emmer wheat for 4 people and boil for 10 mins. Add the sweet corn to the wheat and drain ready to serve.
the Emmer wheat has more protein than rice and it tastes as good as brown rice and its hard to over cook.
Vegan Chilli with Emmer Wheat (Farro)
- wok or deep frying pan
- 250 gms cooked Puy lentils
- 250 gms brown mushrooms – 2 cups
- 500 gm bell peppers – 3 mixed peppers
- 120 gm red onions – 2 onions
- 240 gm black beans – 1 tin
- 240 gm chopped tomatoes – 1 tin
- 1 medium fresh chilli
- 3 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp mild chilli
- 60 gm chopped fresh coriander – 1/2 a cup
- 250 gm Emmer wheat (farro) – small bag
- 200 gm sweetcorn – 1 tin
- 1 tbsp ground paprika
- chop the onions and peppers and gentle fry in a little olive oil for a few minutes to release the flavours.
- Now add the chopped mushrooms and stir.
- After a few minutes, add a slug of water and put the lid on to steam the mushrooms.
- Once the mushrooms are cooked, add the lentils, black beans (rinsed), tinned tomatoes and all the dry spices
- Stir occasionally if it feels too dry more water and stir.
- Now put boiling water into a pan and add enough emmer wheat for 4 people and boil for 10 mins. Add the sweet corn to the wheat and drain ready to serve.
- Add chopped coriander and the fresh chilli to the chilli stir and serve.
(All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more).